Archive for May, 2011
I was headed to take my dog for a run to the local dog run in Melville, NY.
I stopped at Dunkin’ Donuts for a coffee and ran into the parents of Nortwestern’s Beatrice Conley. What a great couple. They had driven down from upstate NY to go to the game at SUNY Stony Brook.
The week before, I was at the Men’s Lacrosse Quarterfinals at Hofstra. I happened to sit with the parents of UNC’s Women’s Coach Jenny Levy. Boy does her mom know the sport – the men’s and women’s game. The Cortland Women’s Lacrosse coach, Kathy Taylor, stopped by and say hello. (Shout out to Kathy: Congratulations on being named SUNYAC Women’s Lacrosse Coach of the Year.)
The passion and enthusiasm of people involved in lax is great. It’s still a relatively small community. Whether it’s the men’s or women’s game, there is a certain passion about the game.
While it is great the sport is increasing its popularity and geography (Denver in the Men’s Final Four ???!!!#$#$!!) there is still something special about the size and intimacy of the small community.
Final Four today!
- I hope Adam Ghitelman plays “emotionally solid”. He needs to be clean and not make any careless error. That does not mean he should be conservative; that’s not his game. He just needs to use his head. Take some risks but be wise.
- Hey UVA — game plan — Go to Steele Stanwick. Go to Steele Stanwick. Go to Steele Stanwick.
- Denver’s Mark Mathews is a beast. No one can physically stop him 1 on 1. They need to have the ball on his stick, have everyone slide, and then find the open man. He’s a beast.
- The Denver kids are in good shape. Altitude factor?
- Maryland seems like a team of destiny. I would not bet against them.
- I’m still wishing Hofstra was still in it.
- Duke has 6 All-Americans? That’s hard to bet against. Justin Turri, Zach Howell , Tom Montelli, CJ Costabile. Jordan Wolf, Robert Rotanz
- Now wait a minute. Maryland has 8 All-Americans? Brian Farrell ,Brett Schmidt, , Ryan Young, Joe Cummings , Grant Catalino, John Haus, Curtis Holmes, Max Schmidt
- My pick? Primarily, I’m rooting for the Long Island kids. Otherwise, I have no clue.
For those of you who missed being at Hofstra, here are a couple of nice video summaries of the games. Thank you to HuntVA.
* * *
* * *
* * *
How great was the hidden ball trick by Maryland vs UNC in the tournment? Didn’t we run that play in 3rd grade?
I couldn’t get up to Foxboro but the ESPN3 coverage was good. It’s not the same as being there but it was still fun.
Great games today – Syracuse. Maryland. Duke. Notre Dame.
The Syracuse Maryland game was great. OT win by Maryland. They have the momentum and will be hard to beat next week.
Duke beats ND and is in the Final 4 again? In Lacrosse? Duke seems to have a better lacrosse program than basketball! ;>)
- John Galloway (Syracuse) played great and showed he is the top of his craft.
- Rumor has it Warrior will be coming out with a helmet that has a ponytail hooked on the back!
- Love the shoes.
- Curtis Holmes (Maryland) did a great job on faceoffs.
- Dan Wigrizer (Duke) came back strong and lead the defense in a solid effort.
Next week is going to be great!
- 2011 NCAA Mens Lacrosse Tournament – Pictures -
What a great day of Lacrosse on May 2, 2011 @ Hofstra University.
University of Denver. Johns Hopkins. University of Virginia. Cornell
Beautiful weather. Exciting games. What’s better than that?
- Steele Stanwick (UVA)was dominant and played a great game.
- Adam Ghitelman (UVA), after a shaky start, played a fantastic game. You could see his confident grow as the game went on. Loved his long run up the field near the end of the game.
- Rob Pannell (Cornell) helped keep the game close. Smithtown’s boy showed why he is receiving the accolades!
- Max Feely (Cornell) is a play-maker. This kid is impressive.
- Mark Matthews (Denver) is a Beast! Physical. Skilled. One of the John Hopkins kids went to check him and the Johns Hopkins kid went down and broke his own stick! Wild.
- Kyle Wharton (Johns Hopkins) continued to show he’s the real deal.
Lacrosse is a great spectator sport. Combine the best attributes of football, soccer, basketball, and hockey… and that’s Lacrosse!
Oh yeah — The scores? UVA beat Cornell 13-9 . Denver beat Johns Hopkins 14-9.