After implementing my quick-and-dirty survey, that indeed found that lacrosse players are the best athletes, I started wondering who was the greatest athlete of all time. Was it a lacrosse player? (Quick-and-dirty results and information are in previous posted called “Survey says…“)
Jim Brown: The Greatest Athlete of All Time
- 9-time NFL All-Pro (out of 9 seasons played)
- Upon his retirement he held virtually every NFL offensive record including 12,312 rushing yards, 126 touchdowns and an average of 5.2 yards per carry.
- The only NFL player to average greater than 100 rushing yards per game.
- Member of the College Football Hall Of Fame
- Member of the Pro Football Hall of Fame
- Member of the Lacrosse Hall of Fame
- At Syracuse (lacrosse) he scored 30 goals as a junior and followed that with 43 goals and 21 assists as a senior midfielder
- First-team All-America Lacrosse midfielder.
What about Bo Jackson? Bo was a great athlete making all star teams in professional baseball and football but was never inducted into a professional sports Hall of Fame.
And Jim Thorpe? Prior to 1950, Jim Thorpe was undoubtedly the greatest athlete of his time. He is a member of the College Football Hall of Fame, The Pro Football Hall of Fame and the Track & Field Hall of Fame. He has also won Olympic Gold Medals.
Let’s give Jim Brown the nod as the best athlete of all-time. He physically dominated his sports. He is often acknowledged as the best athlete in 2 sports. While Bo Jackson and Jim Thorpe were great athletes, neither is, nor was, considered the best in their respective sports.
(photos foxsports.com and mkrob.com)