Archive for lax
3/15/14 – Hempstead NY – Hofstra won 11-9
Knowing the game is in-hand…
Hofstra killing the clock
I have no association with this company. I just thought it was a great shirt…
– 2011 NCAA Mens Lacrosse Tournament – Pictures –
What a great day of Lacrosse on May 2, 2011 @ Hofstra University.
University of Denver. Johns Hopkins. University of Virginia. Cornell
Beautiful weather. Exciting games. What’s better than that?
- Steele Stanwick (UVA)was dominant and played a great game.
- Adam Ghitelman (UVA), after a shaky start, played a fantastic game. You could see his confident grow as the game went on. Loved his long run up the field near the end of the game.
- Rob Pannell (Cornell) helped keep the game close. Smithtown’s boy showed why he is receiving the accolades!
- Max Feely (Cornell) is a play-maker. This kid is impressive.
- Mark Matthews (Denver) is a Beast! Physical. Skilled. One of the John Hopkins kids went to check him and the Johns Hopkins kid went down and broke his own stick! Wild.
- Kyle Wharton (Johns Hopkins) continued to show he’s the real deal.
Lacrosse is a great spectator sport. Combine the best attributes of football, soccer, basketball, and hockey… and that’s Lacrosse!
Oh yeah — The scores? UVA beat Cornell 13-9 . Denver beat Johns Hopkins 14-9.
… and on day #2, the train kept a rolling…
Go Team URSports USA!
Corey Winkoff (U Penn), John Odierna (Gettysburg)
Mike Winkoff, Ryan Young (U Maryland) , Kevin Piegare (UNC) , Adam Ghitleman (UVA)
Mike Winkoff, Ryan Young (U Maryland) , Kevin Piegare (UNC)
UR Sports USA takes another victory!
Travis Reed (U Maryland) – a pose
The UR Sports USA boys take down another victory on a final goal by Tommy Perini (Lafayette) and assist by Will Amling (U Penn)
Team UR Sports USA wearing the Michael Piegare inspired uniforms. Always in our hearts! Always playing for #18.
Corey Winkoff (U Penn) buried one in the back of the net
Tommy Perini (Lafayette) getting big defense man John Odierna (Gettysburg) ready for the next game
Nick Ward (U Maryland) , John Odierna (Gettysburg)
Tommy Perini (Lafayette), Travis Reed (U Maryland)
In a totally un-scientific survey… done by handing out paper to 30 Long Islanders (regionally biased), then taking the written results and manually entering them into MS Excel…
Lacrosse players edged out Hockey players as the best athletes.
Respondents were asked to rate players in each of these sports: (1) baseball, (2) basketball, (3) football, (4) lacrosse, (5)hockey, and (6) soccer.
The categories were (a) endurance & stamina, (b) hand-eye coordination, (c) speed & quickness, (d) toughness / strength, and (e) overall athleticism.
The ratings were 10 = best and 1 = worst.
Lacrosse players edged out Hockey players 40.7 to 40.5 average points respectively (out of 50 points.)
- Not surprisingly football players ranked highest in toughness / strength
- Soccer players won the endurance & stamina category
- Basketball players finished first in the overall athleticism category
Again, this is far from scientific and not statistically significant… but it was fun to see…
<Click on the image below to see the results>
Let’s not waste any time. Here we go with the greatest sport on earth!